Submittal for Residential Category
Featuring: Summer Lake Residence
This annual competition will be organized at the Broadway Commerce Center in downtown Eugene during the month of October, where local architects and landscape architects present their featured projects in various categories, and the citizens of Eugene cast their vote for the best project in each category.
BETWEEN BASIN & RANGE
Summer Lake Residence
PLAYA at Summer Lake, Oregon
Johnson Broderick Engineering
Sweeney Building Company, Lakeview, OR
Foundation & Panel Framing Contractor
Markus-Thompson, Springfield, OR
Bronson Studios Photography
- Provide a modest residence at PLAYA Artist Retreat Center at Summer Lake, located at eastern foot of the Fremont Mountains range, and looking east towards the Great Sandy Desert basin.
- Design a building that is informed by, and integrates with, the surrounding landscape and the local building vernacular.
- Facilitate construction at this rural location where resources are limited, by relying on materials and technologies sourced at a regional industrial centers.
- This house prototype is composed of repeating rectangular plan modules, based on a four-foot grid.
- The structure is constructed with standard light-wood framing materials, pre-fabricated into panels and components that are trucked in and assembled on site.
- The utility of the metal siding is replaced around the entry areas with the inviting warmth of cedar boards.
- The continuous low-slope roof plane is simple to construct, provides excellent protection from prevailing wind and driving rain, and facilitates potential rainwater harvesting.
- The interior organization, varying ceiling heights, and long vistas through oversized windows, make this compact 960-SF home feel expansive.
- Construction impact was reduced by site-assembling prefabricated components.
- The modular design ensures maximum material efficiency and minimal construction waste.
- Wrapped in a double-insulated wall, the home is conditioned with an efficient heat pump, a back-up wood stove, and a Heat Recovery Ventilator.
- Abundant daylight is provided via oversized windows, glazed doors, and a central skylight.